YRC Freight traces its origins to 1924 when A.J. Harrell, an Oklahoma City entrepreneur, founded a bus and taxi service that he named Yellow Cab Transit Co. He shortened the name to Yellow Transit Co. in 1926.
Meanwhile, in Akron, Ohio, brothers Galen and Carroll Roush were making transportation industry history of their own, establishing Roadway Express in December 1930.
In 1952, a teenager from Steinbach, Manitoba, D.S. Reimer, with help from his father, Frank F. Reimer, founded Reimer Express Lines with a route between Winnipeg and Windsor, Ontario. It was one of the first trucking companies to offer east-west traffic in Canada. The company continued to expand, and by 1969, Reimer Express was providing coast-to-coast service in Canada.
Over the years, Yellow and Roadway grew separately to become the two dominant companies in the United States while Reimer Express grew to be the largest common carrier in Canada. In 1997, Roadway acquired Reimer Express, which provided a seamless cross-border gateway and enhanced service from Canada to Mexico. In 2003, these powerful leaders came together under the banner of Yellow Roadway Corp. While back-office and other functions were combined in a best-practices approach, all three companies remained strong and independent in the marketplace. In 2009, we took the next logical step in our transformation by bringing the companies together under the YRC Inc. banner.
On Feb. 1, 2012, we took another significant step, changing the name of YRC Inc., our largest operating company, to YRC Freight.
- YRC Freight reflects the Yellow Transportation (founded in 1924 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma) purchase of and subsequent merger with Roadway (founded in 1930 in Akron, Ohio).
- YRC Freight is the largest subsidiary of YRC Worldwide Inc. with corporate headquarters in Overland Park, Kan.
- Other YRC Worldwide subsidiaries include YRC Reimer, Reddaway, Holland and New Penn.
- YRC Freight is the leading transporter of industrial, commercial, and retail goods, specializing in solutions for businesses across North America through a full-service network, advanced information technologies and proactive customer service.
- Global transportation and logistics solutions for import and export shipments are also available.
Website - YRC Freight
2015 WAA Delivery Locations -
Delivery to a Cross Dock Facility